maandag 11 juni 2012

Tournament test battle vs Eldar

Last friday I played a first 1850 battle with the special missions for the Belgian Open tournament I will be attending next month. I took my 1750 list and added a deathwind missile launcher to each drop pod to bring the list to 1850. I played against an eldar army consisting of eldrad, a unit of banshees in a waveserpent, two units of firedragons in waveserpents, two units of dire avengers in waveserpents, three warwalkers and two units of pathfinders. Deployment was spearhead. In this mission each player had to try to hold more victory points than his opponent in five areas: each spearhead table quarter and the no-mans land in the middle.

I won the roll to go first and had my opponent choose sides. He deployed his vehicles near his table edges, with their rears against the table edge so I wouldn't be able to get a rear armour shot off when I came down. He kept his warwalkers in reserve to outflank. He wanted to infiltrate both his pathfinder units. I saw that this would mean I had to split up my army, which doesn't really suit it as he would get units in three of the table quarters right away. So I took a chance and said I wanted to infiltrate both my wolf scouts squads as well. I won the roll and got to place them first. I put one unit in terrain in the other table quarter on his side of the board and the second unit in terrain in the middle of the board. He then infiltrated one unit in the table quarter next to my deployment zone on my side of the board. Since my unit in the middle was covering a large 18" area that he had to remain outside off, he opted to put his second squad in terrain in his deployment zone. He then did some Eldrad trickery to move some of his units. Eldrad ended up in a unit of firedragons. His banshees got out and were ready to move up and assault my scouts near his table edge. I tried to seize but failed to do so.


In my opponent's first round, he turboboosted most of his vehicles. One unit shot at my wolf scouts in the middle of the table. He killed enough to force a check and they promptly fled. Luckily none of his units were in their neighbourhood so they would be able to regroup next turn. His banshees moved, ran and assaulted my other scout unit and killed them all before they could swing back. They consolidated one inch into the terrain.
In my first turn, my scouts regrouped automatically thanks to And They Shall Know No Fear, giving them an extra 3 inches of movement. I used this movement to get them out of terrain and heading towards his pathfinders on my side of the board. In the shooting phase they ran but only one of the three remaining models got into terrain. I dropped my shooty terminators and the runepriest in front of his vehicles, including the one with Eldrad in. They scattered but I was still able to get out and be in range with my combi-melta's. Thanks to their upgrades, some of his vehicles were immune to the extra d6 that melta confers any way. I dropped my assault terminators in front of the banshees but they scattered back as well. The two combi-melta's from that unit took out the empty waveserpent (which had held the banshees). Logan and the longfangs dropped in between these drop pods and shot at his other vehicles but I only got a stunned which was reduced to shaken thanks to his vehicle upgrades. I knew I was in trouble as my battle plan against a mobile army consists of taking out most of their mobility on the first turn of shooting.


In my opponent's second turn, he faced the might of the runepriest that blocked most of Eldrad's powers. He moved his vehicles around. A unit of dire avengers got out and shot at the long fangs but I made all my saves. The banshees moved out of cover and around the assault terminators towards Logan and the longfangs and with decent fleet and assault rolls, made it into combat. His shooting took out two of the shooty terminators but the third refused to get killed by AP1 and AP2 shots from his vehicles and pathfinders. His other unit of pathfinders took some shots at my wolf scouts and downed another one. His banshees focused all their attacks on the longfangs, killing several. In return Logan and the wolf guard killed a bunch, but we remained locked in combat.
In my second turn none of my remaining drop pods arrived. My assault terminators moved towards his dire avengers. The rune priest took cover behind a drop pod and cast murderous hurricane at the pathfinders. I thought a lot of S3 would be nice against T3 eldar but I lost sight of the fact he had a 2+ cover save. The chainfist shooty terminator moved towards and assaulted a nearby skimmer but failed to hurt it. The scouts moved up into terrain but didn't make it into combat. The battle between the banshees and Logan and the longfangs resulted in a stand-off with only Logan and the banshee exarch alive.


In my opponent's turn my runepriest once more took care of most of Eldrad's psychic powers. His walkers arrived on the other side of the table. He moved some of his vehicles around and disembarked a unit of firedragons. The firedragons took care of my runepriest and my lone shooty terminator also fell to eldar shooting. I think I lost one assault terminator to shooting from the dire avengers and war walkers. In combat, Logan punched out the last banshee and consolidated towards the assault terminators.
In my third turn, a unit of grey hunters dropped in next to the war walkers, although they scattered away from them. The wolf scouts made it to within assault range of the pathfinders. The assault terminators moved towards the dire avengers and Logan joined this unit. Eager to get into combat, I ran this unit in stead of shooting at the dire avengers. The grey hunters opened up on the war walkers and got one of them stunned and the other weapon destroyed. The remaining scout and the wolf guard battle leader assaulted the pathfinders but the wolf guard bit the dust before he could strike and we remained locked in combat.

In my opponent's fourth turn, he shot a lot at my terminators and Logan but only killed one. He started moving units around the board, trying to get units in all quarters. The lone scout and the pathfinders remained locked in combat.
In my fourth turn my last drop pod arrived. The grey hunters got out and shot at the nearest skimmer but failed to hurt it. Logan split off from the terminators and went for the pathfinders in my opponent's deployment zone. The assault terminators made it into combat but logan failed to low on his terrain test to assault. The dire avengers held against the terminators. My other squad of grey hunters moved up, shot and assaulted the war walkers, killing one.

In my opponent's fifth turn, he moved one of his vehicles towards his pathfinders in his deployment zone. They moved through terrain and into the vehicle. Eldrad disembarked, moved and ran into terrain in my deployment zone. His firedragons destroyed a drop pod. Combat continued with the war walkers. The lone scout still held his ground against the pathfinders. The assault terminators killed the last of the dire avengers and consolidated towards the skimmer that held his pathfinders.
In my turn, the grey hunters moved to aid the lone scout and made it close enough to assault although not all my models could strike. Both Logan and my terminators made it so they could assault the skimmer. I think it survived but was unable to move. The lone scout died to the patfinders but the grey hunters avenged him by taking a few pathfinders down.

We went to turn six and my opponent now tried to hold as much quarters as he could. The first unit of grey hunters took down another walker but remained in combat. My grey hunters destroyed the pathfinders, got a 6" consolidation and were able to charge a nearby skimmer on my turn. Logan and the terminators wrecked the skimmer that held the pathinders but in the end it was too little too late. My opponent held at least 3 quarters. He held the middle one with fire dragons and my deployment zone with eldrad, both without any of my units in it. With one of his expensive skimmers he also claimed the quarter next to his deployment zone as it was worth more VP than my unit of grey hunters that was fighting against the last remaining walker. With destroying the skimmer in his deployment zone and with Logan nearby, I held that one. We didn't bother calculating the points for the fifth quarter but it's possible he held that as well thanks to his expensive skimmer.

Since the five deathwind missile launchers didn't have any impact on the game, mainly due to their short range, I am rethinking my list. Changing the list while making sure that it can still fit on my display board is not easy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten