woensdag 10 oktober 2012

Tournament battle vs Eldar/Dark Eldar

My third and final battle at the Challenge 7 tournament saw me facing off against an old opponent, the player who beat me with Dark Eldar at the Belgian Grand Open tournament. My opponent brought Eldrad, a haemonculus, two units of dire avengers, a unit of kabalite warriors in a raider, two units of harlequins, a voidraven bomber, a nightspinner and two wraithlords. In this mission we had kill points (troops were worth double kill points) as the primary objective. We could score additional points if we held a piece of terrain in our own deployment zone (one each). The deployment was vanguard strike. Our warlord traits didn't come into effect. I switched my space wolf psychic powers for the primaris powers of divination and biomancy.

My opponent won the roll to go first but let me go first. I deployed both units of longfang missile launchers, a unit of plasma grey hunters and the runepriest in a ruin on my side of the table. He deployed all of his foot units spread out over two buildings with the nightspinner in the farthest corner away (and out of reach) of my longfangs. and the raider behind the ruin he had chosen for his secondary objective. He kept the voidraven bomber in reserve as it is a flyer. He was still in a 5th ed mindset and had deployed several units with only half of his models in cover but as I pointed this out, he quickly placed as much as them as possible into cover.


On my first turn, I dropped down Logan and the multi-melta longfangs near his closest wraithlord. The shots did nothing to the wraithlord. I also dropped down the melta grey hunters squad near the raider and blew it up. The explosion took down several kabalite warriors and even a few dire avengers from both nearby squads. I also dropped down the second plasma grey hunter squad behind his lines and took some plasma shots at his nightspinner but failed to hurt it. One squad of missile launcher longfangs was in range of his closest harlequin squad and shot some blasts at them, almost blowing the entire unit away. I had cast prescience on them, forgetting his runes of warding, but luckily still made my check. One of the dire avenger units failed its morale check and ran away.
On his turn, he moved his harlequins towards Logan and the longfangs. The dire avengers regrouped. One of the wraithlords headed for the second plasma grey hunter squad while the other one went for a nearby drop pod. His kabalite warriors and dire avengers took aim at the melta grey hunter squad and shot them to pieces, leaving only two or three models alive. The wraithlord had also helped with his flamer templates, which he had placed over the drop pod so he could still assault it. The other wraithlord assaulted the plasma grey hunters. Overwatch killed the plasmagunner. The nightspinner had already taken some shots at that unit and taken out the wolf guard. I held in assault, even doing a wound to him, as he failed all his to hit rolls. Logan took the brunt of the shooting from the harlequins and in stead of rolling look out sirs, I kept taking his invulnerable saves. I failed two, and in the assault, before he could strike, the harlequins finished him off together with the remaining multi-melta longfangs. Had Logan survived, I might have had a chance but after round 1 I was already several kill points behind, and with half my army stranded out of reach of most of his army.





On my second turn, I tried to shoot what I had at his forces but half of what I had left was mostly out of range or line of sight. The drop pods shot at the harlequins, possibly killing another one. The three remaining grey hunters shot their pistols at the kabalite warriors and assaulted them but were gunned down in overwatch or killed before they could strike. The grey hunters that were fighting the second wraithlord still held but were lost a few models.
On his second turn, the voidraven bomber arrived. My opponent destroyed the remaining grey hunters, moved all of his troops back and out of range of my missile launchers and took out another drop pod.






I was now losing badly (like 9 kill points against 1) as a judge came over and told us we had only 5 minutes left to play, although I believe we should still have had about half an hour based on the schedule and starting later than expected. If we didn't finish a certain number of turns, the game would be called a draw but it was very obvious I had lost this game. So in the next 15 minutes we played through another 3 rounds. I tried to move up the longfangs so they could snap shot at his units or the voidraven bomber but failed to do any more damage. He took out some of the longfangs and even a few grey hunters in the building. On turn 5 my opponent declared he was going to fly his voidraven of the table but I reminded him that if there was no turn 6, he would lose the model (and its victory points) so he kept it on the table. He then scattered badly with the nightspinner, hitting the voidraven bomber and blowing it up. I am not sure if it was still flying or if it had moved in hover mode to stay on the board. If it was still flying, the scatter couldn't have hurt it (but neither of us thought about it at the time) as it's not a snapshot.




So I lost this one badly although the game itself was fun as I had a great opponent. And after this win he also took first place in the tournament.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten