dinsdag 9 oktober 2012

Tournament battle vs Tau

My second battle at the Challenge 7 tournament saw me facing off against a Tau player. My opponent brought a battlesuit HQ with bodyguards and shield drones, another squad of battlesuits with shield drones, two units of firewarriors, a unit of kroot, two piranhas, a small unit of steath suits and two hammerheads. He brought a lot of AP2 firepower to the table. In this mission we had 5 tablequarters (each worth 3 mission points) as the primary objective. You can score additional points if you got more victory points off your opponent (3 points per 300 points of difference). The deployment was 5th edition spearhead with the central nomansland as 5th table quarter. Our warlord traits didn't come into effect. I kept my space wolf psychic powers as he had several low initiative value models.

I won the roll to go first and deployed both units of missile launcher longfangs in area terrain. He castled up in his corner, deploying all of his units. The stealth suits infiltrated into the quarter next to my deployment zone. The kroot infiltrated into the other table quarter. He then seized the initiative.





In my opponent's first turn he moved his vehicles so they could benefit from an enhanced cover save. One of the piranhas moved towards the centre behind cover. The stealth suit jumped forward, shot at the missile launchers with a meltagun and jumped back behind cover. But my longfangs weathered all his shooting well, going to ground with one unit for the extra +2 save.
In my first turn, I dropped down Logan and the multi-melta longfangs right between his units. They scattered but couldn't get far because of his units. The multi-melta's split fire on his vehicles and suits but did nothing. I also dropped down both plasma grey hunter squads which both unleashed their shots at the firewarriors who were in front. One of those, the one nearest to his deployment zone, fell back off the table. The other one held it's ground.




In my opponent's second turn, he moved some of his vehicles to clear some space. He shot half of his army at Logan and the longfangs, failing to kill them all but causing one wound on Logan. the rest of his army shot at both grey hunter squads. The stealth suits did their jump shoot jump again.
In my second turn, the melta grey hunters and the runepriest arrived next to his suits. An empty drop pod also arrived and I put that one between the long fangs and the stealth suits. Logan left the remaining longfangs and moved towards the HQ. The runepriest got off Jaws of the World Wolf, taking down a HQ bodyguard, a shield drone and another suit. The rest of the grey hunter unit killed one of the drones. One of the plasma grey hunters squads turned around, shot and assaulted the kroot, winning combat but due to the terminator wolf guard could not try to catch them so they ran away. The remaining long fang shot and assaulted the firewarriors but was shot down in overwatch. Logan assaulted the HQ unit, lost a second wound due to overwatch and then his final wound in close combat before he could strike. If he should have lived, he would propably have taken care of that unit. The remains of the other plasma grey hunter squad assaulted his hammerhead but suffered lots of casualties due to a defensive upgrade. I did take one hull point off it with grenades and rending attacks from the mark of the wulfen.







In my opponent's third turn, his kroot continued to fall back towards their table edge. He moved his hammerhead away from my unit. More shooting came my way but was not as devastating as before.
In my turn, another empty drop pod arrived in the centre of the board. I took some shots with the missile launcher longfangs and managed to kill the melta stealth suit. The remains of the grey hunters that had defeated the kroot turned once more around and headed for the fire warriors. In stead of assaulting them (and suffering overwatch fire), I opted to just unload with bolters. A few drop pods helped to finish them off to the last fishman. The runepriest left the unit of melta grey hunters and moved into position for another Jaws attack. The rest of the unit moved up so they could assault the HQ unit. The few remaining grey hunters in the other squad moved up towards the hammerhead, and into that table quarter. They shot and assaulted the vehicle. Again I suffered casualties, leaving only the mark of the wulfen who failed to hurt the hammerhead. The melta grey hunters made it into combat and took down at least one model but he held his ground. The runepriest got off the Jaws, taking down a shield drone and the second bodyguard. He then assaulted the remaining suit in front of him but was shot down in overwatch, suffering an instant death wound that he didn't save.

In my opponent's fourth turn, he started to move his units around, calculating victory points as we were running out of time and this would be the last round. His remaining stealth suits made it into the centre of the board to claim that quarter. He shot down the lone mark of the wulfen. His HQ survived another round of close combat. At the end of his round, he had three out of five quarters claimed (one with the piranhas, one with stealt suits and one with the hammerhead), I had one (with the longfangs) and we were still tied in the last one as we both had most of our surviving units in that one.
My fourth turn was the most exciting turn in a tournament so far as everything I still had left had to do well to tie, let alone win the game. I first tried to move the largest squad of longfangs around the drop pod and with a good run into the middle of the board. I rolled horribly on my difficult terrain roll so that was out. I then moved the other longfang squad out of terrain and into the center and took a snapshot at the stealth suit but failed. I then used the drop pod to shoot at the stealth suits and shot one down. His stealth unit was now under half strenght, meaning half victory points and with my longfangs and the drop pod, I now had the centre table quarter. As we were now tied, everything depended on the last quarter. I couldn't hurt the hammerhead with my grey hunters so I moved them closer, making sure they were in the quarter. The drop pods then took aim at the last suit that was not engaged, taking off another wound but failing to kill it. In the final round of combat, my melta grey hunters took down his HQ.





We calculated victory points left in the last quarter and at the end I held it, just barely. We calculated total victorypoints as we could still draw if he had more than 300 victory points left over than me. But he didn't (280 or something), giving me a second win for the day.





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten