dinsdag 9 oktober 2012

Tournament battle vs Grey Knights

My first battle at the Challenge 7 tournament saw me facing off against a young grey knight player. My opponent brought crowe, 3 units of purifiers (two in rhinos and one in a stormraven), a dreadknight and two psyflemen dreads. In the first mission there are 5 objectives (each worth 3 mission points) as the primary objective. You can score 5 additional points if you get slay the warlord (3 points if you lose your own warlord afterwards). The deployment was Dawn of War. Mysterious objectives were in effect. I got the warlord trait that I could get more mission points if I kill a character in a challenge. My opponent's warlord trait didn't come into effect. I kept my space wolf psychic powers.

We placed objectives mainly in the middle of the board but I also got one in area terrain on my side of the board. I won the roll to deploy first. I deployed both units of long fangs with missile launchers in area terrain, one on each side of the board. I also deployed a plasma grey hunter squad in the same area terrain of the long fangs, on the objective I had placed there. He kept his dreadnight (who was going to deepstrike in) and his stormraven (being a flyer) with a unit of purifiers embarked in reserve. He split his army and had one psyfleman dread and a rhino with purifiers on each side. He was unaware that Crowe is not an independant character and thus could not join a unit in their dedicated transport. So he deployed him between a dread and a rhino on one side of the board. He failed to seize the initiative.





In my first turn I dropped down Logan and the multi-melta longfangs, the melta grey hunters with the runepriest and the second squad of plasma grey hunters around his units with Crowe. I opened fire on Crowe (but failed to hurt him), the dreadnought, the rhino and even the occupants when the rhino was wrecked. He lost the dreadnought, the rhino and a few purifiers. Only two of my missile launcher longfangs had range and line of sight on his other rhino but failed to hurt it.
In his turn, he moved his other rhino up and popped smoke. His other dread moved up and shot at Logan and the longfangs. The purifiers shot at the melta grey hunters and assaulted them. He lost at least one to overwacht fire and I then slaughtered the rest in assault. Crowe assaulted the longfangs and Logan. Logan and Crowe got in a challenge and I promptly slew him, giving me the secondary mission objective. The only downside was that I now had to footslog towards the middle of the board and the primary objective markers.




In my second turn two empty drop pods arrived and I dropped them between Logan with the longfangs and his other dread, giving me cover. I moved and ran up towards the middle of the table. The missile launcher longfangs that had range shot at the rhino and got it shaken or stunned.
In my opponent's second turn, he didn't get any of his reserves in. He got rid of the shaken result on the rhino with his psychic power and moved up and into the terrain I was holding with the longfangs and the grey hunters.





In my third turn, I continued to move up towards the middle, taking a few shots at his second dread with the multi-melta longfangs. The missile launcher longfangs wrecked the rhino and he got out behind it and out of sight of my grey hunters who had moved up to shoot them.
In his turn, he kept moving the dread into spots where he could fire at my units. Both the dreadknight and the stormraven arrived. The dreadknight deep struck in front of the terrain my units were holding and flamed them. The stormraven shot at my units but didn't do that much damage. The strike squad moved up and assaulted the longfangs with only the sergeant surviving. In retrospect, I don't think he could have assaulted as you cannot assault in your subsequent assault phase after disembarking (even from a wrecked damage result). Which would have given me a full turn of firing at them and even launching an assault myself.




In my fourth turn, Logan and the longfangs moved up towards the dreadknight. My last drop pod arrived and I dropped it between the dreadknight and my grey hunters in the area terrain. My grey hunters kept moving towards the objectives in the middle. The other missile launcher longfangs finally had a target and shot at the dreadknight, taking off one wound. Logan and the multi-melta's then took off the last three wounds as he failed all his invulnerable saves. The purifiers destroyed the longfang sergeant.
In his fourth turn, he pivoted the stormraven 90 degrees and came towards the middle. He shot at Logan and the longfangs and the nearby grey hunters, killing a few longfangs. The purifiers assaulted the grey hunters in the area terrain.


In my fifth turn, I moved up towards the objectives. Logan and the remaining longfangs moved up and ran, hoping to get near the purifiers. I snapfired at the stormraven without any result. The purifiers destroyed the last of the grey hunters and consolidated out of sight but within scoring range of the objective.
In my opponent's fifth turn, the stormraven went in hover mode, disembarked the purifiers and then moved back so it didn't block line of sight to my units. The purifiers unleashed their shots on my grey hunters. They tried to assault, even declaring a disorderly charge on Logan's squad as a secondary target. He failed to reach me and the overwatch didn't do that much. But his shooting has succeeded in taking me off a second objective so we both held one objective.




We rolled to see if there was going to be a turn 6 but the game ended. We drew on primary objective but I won the game thanks to the secondary objective.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten