maandag 3 december 2012

Tournament battle vs Chaos Space Marines

My second battle at the Warpstorm tournament saw me facing off against another old opponent, from the blog Death from Above. He brought his chaos space marine army. His army consisted of typhus, a large unit of zombie cultists, two units of plague marines in rhinos, a unit of terminators in a landraider, two lascannon/autocannon predators, two obliterators and an aegis defence line with a quadgun. In this mission we had table quarters as the primary objective (although only troops could claim/contest them). Kill points were secondary. First blood, linebreaker and Slay the Warlord were also in effect. Deployment was Dawn of War. Our warlord traits didn't come in effect. I didn't switch my space wolf psychic powers.

My opponent won the roll to go first. He deployed his forces across his board edge. The obliterators manned the quadgun and the zombies were hiding behind the defense line. I deployed once more a single wolfguard terminator, hidden completely from sight behind terrain. I didn't seized the initiative.




My opponent moved some of his forces forward but had no shots against the lone wolfguard. He didn't use smoke which was to my advantage.
In my first turn, I dropped Logan and the multi-melta longfangs next to his landraider. The terminators and the rune priest dropped in the center, hiding from the predators behind their drop pod. Both units of missile launcher longfangs dropped down as well. I was hoping to snapshot the nearby rhino so the plague marines had to come out and then the combi-plasmas from the terminators could take care of them. But I failed to destroy the rhino. The multi-melta's did blew up the landraider, taking a terminator with it in the explosion. The wolf guard terminators took some shots at the disembarked chaos terminators and dealt a wound to Typhus.






In my opponent's second turn, Typhus and the terminators shot up and assaulted Logan and the longfangs. The rhino that had escaped my other longfangs moved forward towards the lone wolfguard, but got stuck in terrain. The plague marines disembarked further away from my units and towards the lone wolfguard. He shot up the wolf guard terminators, killing the runepriest and at least one more terminator. Logan and Typhys killed each other in combat. A single longfang remained locked in combat with his remaining terminators.
In my second turn the wolf guard terminators moved up towards his predators and assaulted one, knocking off a hull point and a weapon but not destroying it. One of the remaining longfangs units moved into better position and snap fired at his other predator. The other longfang unit shot some blasts at the plague marines. The lone wolfguard moved even further into terrain seeking cover from the approaching plague marines. Two of my units of grey hunters arrived: one near the defense line and the other near the plague marine's rhino as they scattered to far away from the plague marines. The first unit took some shots at the zombies, killing a few. The other squad took out the rhino.




In my opponent's third turn, he moved his terminators up towards my terminators but failed to reach them in the assault. The plague marines disembarked from the other rhino. The obliterators shot up the nearby grey hunters and killed a few of them. His other plague marines moved forward and killed the lone wolf guard. The wolf guard terminators that were still in base contact with the predator, knocked off the last hull point(s) and wrecked it.
In my third turn, I moved up the grey hunters towards his plague marines and took some shots at them. One unit of longfangs with missile launchers also started to take shots at them with AP3 missiles, killing a few. The other squad of grey hunters moved through terrain and assaulted the zombie cultists, killing a lot of them. The zombies were too spread out and after taking casualties, couldn't even strike back as their pile-in move didn't bring the remaining zombies in combat. The wolf guard terminators moved towards the chaos terminators and assaulted them. My last grey hunter squad also arrived this turn and I dropped it in the remaining table quarter.










My opponent tried to keep his plague marines out of harms way. Blocking one squad with a rhino and moving the other squad as far away from my units as possible. He threw both obliterators into the combat with the zombies, killing a few grey hunters but leaving the mark of the wulfen alive. I had spread out my attacks between both targets but the zombies survived. The wolf guard terminators killed his remaining terminators and consolidated into terrain in that table quarter.
In my turn (and we were running out of time so we agreed this would be the last round) I moved one unit of grey hunters in the table quarter that held his fleeing plague marines, contesting that quarter. I kept the wolf guard terminators in cover, contesting that table quarter from the other plague marines. I held one with my third unit of grey hunters. In combat I focused all my attacks on the zombies, killing them all. He kill didn't kill all the grey hunters with his obliterators so I still held that quarter.




In the end I held two of the four quarters and he held none. I got one more kill point than him. We both had linebreaker and slay the warlord but I also had first blood. Finaly tally: 15-2 for me.

1 opmerking: