maandag 3 december 2012

Tournament battle vs Tau/Necrons

My first battle at the Warpstorm tournament saw me facing off against an old opponent, the tau player I barely won from at the Challenge 7 tournament. My opponent brought his tau army, this time allied with necrons. His army consisted of a tau HQ with bodyguard and drones, two units of firewarriors, a unit of kroot, a hammerhead, some broadsides with drones, the stormlord, a unit of necron warriors, a unit of scarabs and three tomb spiders. In this mission we had objectives (2x 1 victory point, 2x 2 victory points and 2x 3 victory points) as the primary objective. Army points (old victory points) were secondary. First blood, linebreaker and Slay the Warlord were also in effect. Deployment was Vanguard Strike. My warlord trait was useless. His gave me -1 on my reserve rolls. I didn't switch my space wolf psychic powers as I knew from our previous battle that Jaws of the World Wolf was great against his army. We alternated setting up the objectives.

My opponent won the roll to go first. He deployed in a corner near a 1 point objective and a 3 point objective. He kept the kroot in reserve and they would outflank. He bubblewrapped his tau forces and the tomb spiders with the scarabs. His other troops were in or behind terrain.
I deployed my long fangs. They were in range of his troops but I forgot about the stormlord and nightfighting, limiting their range to 36 inches. I also deployed a single wolf guard in terminator armour in a ruin, out of line of sight but near an 1 point objective. I tried to seize the initiative (which he did in our previous battle) but had no luck.



In his first turn, he left most of his units where they were, safe behind the scarabs. He added three more to his swarm. The lightning attack from the stormlord killed a few longfangs.
In my first turn I dropped down Logan and the multi-melta longfangs next to his units. The wolf guard combi-plasma terminators and the runepriest also dropped nearby. I moved the runepriest so he could line up Jaws of the World Wolf through several scarabs and then into his tau battlesuits. They were also near a 2 point objective. I dropped a grey hunter squad in the middle of the table behind some line of sight blocking terrain and onto a 3 point objective. The last drop pod coming down also had grey hunters in it. They dropped next to Logan and with line of sight to one of his units of fire warriors. The multi-melta longfangs did nothing. The runepriest cast Jaws but a nearby tomb spider with gloom prism stopped the attack. The terminators shot at the scarabs. The long fangs were almost all out of range. The unit that had suffered casualties moved into terrain and within line of sight of a the second 2 point objective near the other table edge. He was clearly hoping his kroot would come on from that edge. The grey hunters shot up the tau fire warriors who failed their morale check and fled off the board.





In his second turn the kroot came on near the 2 point objective. They tried to move into terrain to be safe from the longfangs but didn't get that far. The scarabs and the spiders moved forward, spawning three more scarab bases in the process. He then opened fire on my army. He killed all the multi-melta longfangs, the runepriest and several of the terminators. The grey hunters weathered the shooting better. His scarabs then assaulted both drop pods, destroying them. The tomb spiders assaulted the last terminators, killing them and consolidating forward.
In my second turn, none of my reservers arrived thanks to his warlord trait. The forward grey hunters moved over the barricades and into assault range of the next unit of fire warriors in the adjacent ruin. Logan moved into the same ruin, in line of sight from the necron warriors behind the ruin. I decided not to fire as I didn't want to risk having to roll even higher on the charge distance rolls throught terrain. The longfangs shot at the kroot but didn't do much damage. The grey hunters needed a five on their charge roll but failed to make it. Overwatch fire was stopped by the terminator armour. Since the distance to the necron warriors was greater than the distance to the tau fire warriors on the level above him, I charged Logan at the fire warriors. He made it into combat, killed more than a few. They failed their check but since he couldn't persue, they got away. He rolled double one for his run roll so was nowhere near the board edge. Logan consolidated out of the ruin, behind cover from the wrecked drop pods.





In my opponent's third turn, he moved his scarabs and his wraiths forward. His kroot moved through terrain and two of them made it within range of the 2 point objective. The necron warriors moved away from Logan but still within range of the 3 point objective. His shooting killed a few grey hunters (look out sirs for the AP2 shots) but the terminator still made a lot of armour saves. His scarabs then multi-assaulted Logan and the grey hunters, pulling them away from the 1 point objective. Logan held his ground but the grey hunters took some casualties. With fearless wounds now gone in 6th edition, he had locked this units up. We were running out of time for our game so we knew his would be the last turn. He currently held one 3 point objective and one 2 point objective. I held a 3 point objective and had a 1 point objective in reach.
To win the game, I only needed to do two things. Shoot the kroot of the objective and land my remaing grey hunters in their drop pod on the 3 point objective, contesting it. Unfortunately, the drop pod didn't come in, once more thanks to his warlord trait. Only empty drop pods arrived. I did shoot the kroot off the objective. I moved the lone wolf guard through terrain and onto the 1 point objective.




That meant I would win on primary (4-3) but not with enough margin to get extra points. I had first blood and linebreaker. He didn't have linebreaker as his kroot were in no-mans land. I only destroyed 128 points from this army. He get 1339 army point from me. Giving him the win in total battlepoints (8 vs 6). Had the drop pod come in, I still would have won even with giving up so much army points (11 vs 5).


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten