donderdag 19 januari 2012

P&B battle report vs Space Wolves

My second 1750 points campaign battle was against another space wolf army. My opponent brought four units of grey hunters in rhinos, two rune priests, a wolf priest, two long fang units (one with plasma cannons and one with missile launchers), a lone wolf with two wolves and one scout squad. We rolled for mission and deployment and got Capture and Control with Pitched Battle deployment. My opponent won the roll to go first and chose table sides and start the game. He placed his objective on top of a bunker in the left corner. I placed mine near the middle of the board in my deployment zone. He deployed his rhinos in the middle of his deployment zone, 2 to the left and 2 to the right and his lone wolf in the middle between them. He put the plasma cannon long fangs on the parapet of the bunker and the other long fangs in a piece of area terrain on the right. He kept his scouts in reserve to outflank behind enemy lines. I tried to seize the initiative and did!

This was the first time we used a true building so we had to look up a lot of the rules. In the end we had to make a few judgement calls as we had a situation that was not covered in the main rulebook. This also was the first battle I felt outclassed. Even worse than the chaos space marine battle last month where I had at least the feeling I had a fighting chance. It didn't help that mathhammer failed me on more than one occasion, killing my own marines when my opponent's rhino's blew up and stuff like that.




In my first turn, I brought down Logan and the longfangs near the bunker. The idea was to blow up the ruin with the multi-melta's and shoot the missiles at a nearby rhino. I scattered onto his troops so the drop pod got to stay where I placed it. To the right of it I dropped my large long fang unit with the runepriest, hoping to shoot at the contents of the rhino that the longfangs were targetting and placing my runepriest in the middle of his so I could try to block his psychic powers. I then dropped the third pod with my full terminator squad in front of his other rhinos, trying to use the drop pod to fill the gap between terrain pieces to slow him down. The multi-melta longfangs shot at the ruin but failed to hit. The other long fangs did blew up a rhino, killing one of my marines in the blast. The runepriest got off Jaws of the World Wolf on the bunched grey hunters but he made all his initiative checks! He then saved almost all of his wounds from the bolter and melta fire from the rest of the unit. The terminators try to melta and plasma another rhino but only succeed in immobilizing it.




In my opponent's turn he disembarks some grey hunters, moves the rhinos out of the way and then starts opening fire on my units. With bolters, missiles and plasmacannons, he destroys all the long fangs except for the terminator and Logan. The grey hunters also take a few casualties and both Logan and the runepriest take a wound. I also lose at least one of the terminators. All units hold though. His lone wolf assaults the nearest drop pod and destroys it.






In my second turn, all of my reservers arrive at once. I outflanked one scout squad next to the bunker so I could melta it. The second squad of scouts arrived on the other side of the board but were out of range of his long fangs with missile launchers so I opted to run them into cover. I dropped the small grey hunter squad on my objective but the drop pod deviated and was not contesting itself.Trying at least to hold my objective, I dropped the second squad of terminators also near my objective. The scouts succeeded in wrecking the bunker but since he had placed his own grey hunter unit in front of the only door, we didn't know what to do with the 'disembarkation' of his long fangs. In the end we decided to consider the building open topped thanks to the parapets, so he could deploy anywhere adjacent. That did mean he could escape the charge of my scouts. Luckily my scouts were mostly out of sight of his long fangs. The terminators charged the grey hunters and lived to tell the tale, unfortunately so did most of his grey hunters. Logan and the wolf guard terminators assaulted the nearby grey hunters in terrain, making Logan strike last but he still killed a lot. My grey hunters and runepriest assaulted the other grey hunters but were killed in the process. He consolidated towards Logan and the wolf guard.

In my opponent's second turn, his scouts came on, right behind my scouts that had made it into terrain near his long fangs with missile launchers. They shot and assaulted them, killing them all. He tried to repair his immobilized rhino but failed. The plasma cannon long fangs tried to shoot at my scouts but only killed one. His grey hunters with the wolf priest destroyed my remaining terminators and consolidated towards my objective. His lone wolf assaulted another drop pod and destroyed that one as well. He assaulted Logan and the terminator with a second squad of grey hunters but Logan, Logan died but my opponent lost the combat and ran away (I could not pursue due to terminator armour). I condolidated the terminator within 6 inch of his fleeing grey hunters.

In my third turn, I moved my remaining terminators into terrain but failed to roll high enough to have a chance to make it into assault so I moved back in stead. The lone terminator shot at the remaining rhino but failed to hurt it. My scouts moved closer to the plasma cannon long fangs, shot them and assaulted them. But they remained locked in combat.

In my opponent's third turn, his fleeing grey hunters ran from the table. He moved his grey hunters with the wolfpriest closer through terrain and shot up my terminators. His scouts and his lone wolf started to close in on my objective from both sides of the table. He moved the last squad of grey hunters out of their transport and towards the objective. They shot the lone wolf guard terminator and killed it. I killed a few long fangs in combat but lost my wolf guard with the powerfist.


In my fourth turn, I shot at the oncomming grey hunters with both my remaining units . I then assaulted with my terminators into his grey hunters in terrain even though I thought it was a bad idea at the time. They died before I could strike. He consolidated towards my grey hunters. My scouts also didn't survive. They either died this turn or the next although it's possible they took the remaining long fangs down with them.


In my opponent's fifth turn, he moved his units closer to my objective and moved the large unit of grey hunters next to his own objective. He assaulted my small squad of grey hunters and only the mark of the wulfen survived while he had one grey hunter and his wolfpriest left. The lone wolf assaulted another drop pod and took it out. We rolled to see if the game continued and it did.


In my turn, I had only one remaining drop pod left to shoot at my opponent but it didn't do anyhting. The mark of the wulfen split his attacks and killed the lone grey hunter but the wolf priest survived and killed the mark of the wulfen, finishing the game for me.

In retrospect, maybe seezing the intiative was a bad idea. I tried to do it so he couldn't smoke his vehicles but if he had moved them more towards the middle and smoked, I could have deep striked behind his lines and tried to go fully for his objective without splitting my forces. Also assaulting with the terminators into terrain was very bad idea. I should have let him assault me. It wouldn't have made any difference anyway (unless I would have failed my counterattack check). When he started deploying his 50+ marines, I knew I was in trouble. I hope to get a rematch soon, so I can think of a way to handle a list like this.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten