maandag 16 juli 2012

Tournament battle vs Grey Knights

Last weekend I participated in the Belgian Open tournament. The first battle, with dawn of war deployment was a modified annihilation mission. In this mission each player had to try to take more kill points than his opponent. At the start of the battle, we each could nominate 5 points on force organisation chart categories (but not on troops), max 2 per category, and those categories would give kill points equal to the number of points allocated. If you hadn't allocated points to a category, you couldn't get kill points for the units in those slots and if those units then survived, your opponent got kill points for them. Troops and dedicated transports were worth 1 kill point each.
I played this battle against a grey knight player with a Crow purifier spam list. His army consisted of Crow, several units of purifiers in razorbacks and rhinos and 3 dreadnoughts with TL autocannons and psibolt ammunition. Since he had only HQ and Heavy Support units, I put 2 points in each of those categories. The rest of his army were troops and dedicated transports. He put 2 points in my Fast Attack 2 points in my Elites and 1 point in my HQ.

I won the roll to go first and let hem choose table sides and deploy first. He deployed two units of purifiers in the middle of the table in terrain. Crow would go in reserve so he could stay safe as long as possible. All the rest of his army would walk/drive on turn 1.
I deployed nothing. My landspeeders went in reserve and would come on from my board edge. The scouts would outflank. The runepriest went with the shooty terminators.

In his first turn he moved the three dreads on, one in the center and the others more than a foot away from them on each side. He likewise split up the rest of his army, letting the purifiers come one spread out over his board edge.
In my first turn I dropped Logan and the longfangs and both my terminator units on the left flank. I shot at his vehicles and walkers but did minimal damage, only killing one dreadnought.

In my opponent's second turn Crow showed up. My opponent destroyed my assault terminators (just looking at them made them drop dead as I rolled lots of ones on terminator armour saves the whole tournament). He also killed my runepriest and the shooty terminators.
In my second turn a unit of scouts arrived, shot two melta's in the back of a dreadnought and assaulted it but failed to hurt it. Both speeders arrived who moved flat out on the other flank. The longfangs took care of crow and shot him down.



In his third turn, he destroyed the wolf scouts. With his army having to move towards the other half of the table, he couldn't do that much to me this turn.
In my turn, the grey hunters arrived. I managed to immobilize or destroy a few of his transports. The landspeeders also took out a second dreadnought.
In my third turn the second unit of wolf scouts arrived but on the wrong side of the table. They wouldn't be able to survive a 10-man unit of purifiers so I let them come on near my table edge so I could keep them from giving up double kill points. I took out another dreadnought.



My opponent started to clean up my grey hunters. He also shot at the drop pods. One drop pod survived a lot of turns of shooting from the ten purifiers on the left. My opponent realised too late that he had a hammer in the unit and could have destroyed it in the assault.
In my fourth turn there was a strange incident where I blew up a vehicle in the shooting phase and the explosion killed the only remaining member of a purifier squad that was in combat with a unit of mine. We weren't sure that I could still fire and/or assault with my unit that was now no longer locked in combat.





When the battle ended (time ran out), My opponent had earned 9 kill points but since I had killed all three of his dreadnoughts and crow who all counted double and several of his vehicles, at least one purifier squad and my long fangs were still alive, I won the battle on kill points 14 to 9. I also scored slightly more on victory points (1039 vs 930). So the first win of the tournament was in!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten