zaterdag 15 oktober 2011

P&B battle report vs Necrons

My fifth game of our first month into the campaign saw me facing off agains my first army, the necrons. My opponent brought a hard list consisting of a necron lord with destroyer body, gaze of flame, phylactery and resurrection orb, a unit of 3 wraiths, a unit of 2 wraiths, two units of 10 warriors and a monolith. That meant I only phased him out when he had less than six necron models on his turn, meaning I had to nearly wipe him out. We rolled for mission and deployment and got annihilation with spearhead deployment. He won the roll to go first and made me deploy first.

I choose the table quarter that held two small ruins and deployed my long fangs in one and my small squad of grey hunters in the other. He then deployed his wraiths in his quarter with the lord joining the squad of two wraiths. He kept his monolith in reserves to deep strike, one unit of warriors in reserve to walk on the board, and one unit of warriors in reserve that would enter through the monolith's portal. He tried to seize initiative but failed.


In my first turn I dropped the two drop pods around his wraiths. My runepriest tried to jaws three wraiths but they made their initiative 6 checks. Maybe I should have done murderous hurricane in stead. The rest of the unit shot that unit as well while the other unit shot at the smaller unit of wraiths with the lord. The lord took one wound and the two wraiths of his unit were downed, while the other unit also suffered one casualty. Off all the long fangs, only one missile launcher had line of sight to the wraiths as they were behind a woods and failed to harm them.
In his first turn, he only had one wraith get up, the one from the larger squad so I had taken my first kill point. He moved his wraiths and his lord towards my grey hunters with runepriest, shot at them with the lord and then assaulted them. I don't remember how many but I suffered almost no losses. He lost his lord and one wraith. The combat continued into the next round.

In my second turn, my wolf scouts showed up. I rolled a 5 so got to choose where they came on but with all his units tied into one combat in the centre of the board or still in reserves, I was at a loss where to place them. I finaly let them walk on from my opponents long table edge so they would hopefully be able to take on his warriors when they walked on. My grey hunters with wolf priest also moved towards my opponents long table edge for the same reason. In the shooting phase, I had nothing to shoot at. My scouts tried to run for nearby terrain but failed to get there. We continued the combat and I downed another wraith while losing minimal casualties.
In my opponent's second turn, he had the lord and one wraith back up. Luckily, the lord only came back on with one wound. His monolith arrived and deep struck right into the middle of my units (a triangle of drop pod with rune priest and grey hunters, a drop pod with the wolf priest and grey hunters and the wolf scouts. His monolith then did a whole lot of shots which mostly were saved although it did wrecked the drop pod from the grey hunters with rune priest. So we now were tied 1-1 in kill points. In the combat with the lord and wraiths, I kill the lord again but fail to wound the wraiths. We tie combat but my unit's numbers are dwindling.

In my third turn my empty drop pod arrives which I deploy on my side of the board, away from the monolith. I move my scouts away from his monolith and move my grey hunters with wolf priest towards the combat with the wraiths, hoping to keep them tied up so they will not be shot at next turn by the monolith. The scouts try to run in cover once more but fail to reach it. My long fangs shoot at the monolith due to lack of better targets and give it a weapon destroyed (meaning he has one less hit on each d6 hits for the units in range ... for one turn). I assault his wraiths but they first kill all of the grey hunters from my rune priest squad, leaving only the rune priest alive, before I kill all wraiths but one! I rolled a one to wound on my only hit from the wolf guard with powerfist against the last standing wraith. Luckily I had not used my wolf banner.
In his third turn, his lord fails to get back up, so we were now tied 2-2 on kill points. His unit of warriors arrives and walks onto the board near my scouts. In the shooting phase, he shot with his monolith at the grey hunter with wolf priest drop pod, the only thing in range but failed to harm it. His warriors shot up my scouts and killed all but the scout with the meltagun. In combat, I finish his remaining wraiths and consolidate towards the monolith. I was now in front 3-2 in kill points.


In my fourth turn, my lone scout shoots and assaults the warriors and both sides fail to hurt each other, keeping the combat going. My rune priest joined the grey hunter unit with only one wound remaining. My long fangs shot at the monolith. I maybe should have shot at his warriors but only two of my long fangs had line of sight. I failed to hurt the monolith (triple ones on the armour penetration roll). My grey hunters shot a melta at the monolith and charged it but even with auto hits, my wolf guard with powerfist couldn't hurt it.
On his fourth turn, he had his warriors arrive from the monolith, then moved the monolith away from my grey hunters and rotated it with it portal towards them. He then pulled the other unit out of combat with the wolf scout and teleported them next to my grey hunters. He then shot 20 rapid fire qauss weapons at my unit of grey hunters, killing only 1 guy. I just kept making my saves!


On my fifth turn, I moved my remaining wolf scout away from the monolith. My grey hunters with both priests moved closer to the two units of warriors, shot some pistols and a meltagun, killing one necron warrior, and then multi-assaulted them. Thanks to the power weapons, I killed five necrons without chance of we'll be back roll and he failed three more armour saves against the other attacks. I also lost two grey hunters, but that left him with a -6 towards combat resolution. He promptly failed both leadership checks and with his initiative of 2 against my initiative of 4, I ran both units down.
That meant on the start of his fifth turn, he had only the monolith left so I won due to phase out. Neither of us had expected that I would survive his shooting so well and then defeat his warriors so massively in combat. But it was a fun and exciting game.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten