zondag 9 oktober 2011

P&B battle report vs Space Marines

My third 1000 point battle in the campaign saw me facing off against a younger player relatively new to 40k with a space marine army. His army consisted of a captain with powerweapon and plasma pistol, two ten-man tactical squads with missile launchers and meltaguns in rhinos, a vindicator, a predator with tl lascannon and heavy bolter sponsons and a five-man devastator squad with 4 missile launchers. I tried to give him some pointers along the way and allowed him to take back some movement and similar stuff if it was to his benefit. We rolled for mission and deployment and got seize ground (5 objectives) with pitched battle deployment. I won the roll to place objectives first and started with one in the middle. We then placed the other four objectives about twelve inch away from the centre objective, one in each table quarter. I won the roll to go first but let hem choose a side and deploy first.

He deployed his devastators on the second story of a ruin on his left side, his predator also on the left half of the board but his vindicator and the two rhinos on the right with the captain on foot hiding behind the vindicator.
I deployed my long fangs on the first and second floor of a ruin on my left side. In the shooting phases, we found out that would leave both missile launchers just out of reach of each other. I deployed my five-man grey hunter squad behind a ruined tower on my right, in cover and out of line of sight of his missile launchers. It would take them more than one turn of movement to reach the nearest objective.

On his first turn he moved his two rhinos forward towards my long fangs. He didn't pop smoke but I let him do it anyway in my shooting phase to give his rhinos's a much needed cover save. He moved his vindicator and predator forward and shot the vindicator at my long fangs, killing the sergeant and one missile launcher.
On my turn I dropped both grey hunter drop pods down, leaving the empty drop pod and my outflanking wolf scouts squad in reserves. The first drop pod arrived just after his rhino's, ready for a rear armour shot. The other one dropped before his rhinos. I used one grey hunter squad to pop a rhino, which exploded, and then double tapped the unit inside with my other grey hunter squad. A few marines were lost on his side but they held their ground. My remaining long fangs took some shots at his vindicator but failed to do anything usefull.

On his second turn, he moved his vindicator back so he could shoot the grey hunter squad that had popped the rhino. He also moved his predator back but I allowed him to place it back and just let it rotate on the spot so he could fire all its weapons. He moved his remaining rhino towards my second squad and disembarked his marines. He then took al lot of shots at me, some of which were really bad rolls. He double tapped my grey hunter squad with the rune priest and killed a few marines. He shot the rest of his army towards my other squad, including his vindicator which deviated on top of his own marines. Luckily they were still in the crater so they got a cover save. The squad survived and only lost a few of the regular grey hunters. His captain then assaulted this squad on his own and died. I consolidated towards his vindicator, thinking to melta and if necessary assault it next turn.
On my turn both my reserves came on. The third drop pod came down near the other drop pods. My wolf scouts got to choose which side to come on from, so I took his long board edge and came up near the rear of his vindicator. That changed my strategy so I moved the grey hunters and wolf priest away from the vindicator, towards his marines that were still in the crater of their destroyed rhino. I moved my rune priest so he could have a nice line through the disembarked marine squad and move my other grey hunters ready for assault. My rune priest got his Jaws of the World Wolf of but he succeeded most of his checks and only lost one or two of the marines. I then shot them and assaulted with the rest of the squad. My double meltashots of the wolf scouts blew up his vindicator. My other grey hunters with the wolf priest shot and assaulted the marines in the crater. In stead of going for the rhino first, I used the long fangs to shoot krak missiles at the marines the rune priest had targeted but half of the unit was behind the rhino so het got cover saves and made them. I won both combats but the marines didn't run.

In his third turn he was hampered by the combats as he didn't have much to shoot at. He moved his predator towards my grey hunters hiding behind the ruined tower and took a lascannon shot at them but failed to kill one. His devastators opened fire on my scouts and killed the meltagun scout. Both combats had casualties on both sides but they continued into the next round.
On my third turn I moved my wolf scouts towards a nearby wood. My long fangs took shots at his predator but he had cover and I failed to damage it. I won both combats, consolidating to within 3 inch of nearby objectives. With both his scoring troops gone, I now had a good chance for a win, and was sure of at least a draw.

On his fourth turn, he moved his predator closer towards my five-man grey hunter squad and killed one with shooting. His devastators opened fire on my other grey hunter squad that was now out of combat. He killed enough for a check (including the wolf priest) and they ran away.
On my turn, the grey hunters regrouped thanks to And They Shall Know No Fear, right onto an objective. My grey hunters with rune priest shot the remaining rhino to pieces. My long fangs took some more shots at the predator but still failed to damage it.

On my opponent's fifth turn, he withdrew his predator and took some shots at my small unit of grey hunters but failed to do anything. His devastators took some shots at my grey hunters but without much result. I moved towards so I had two objectives and moved my third grey hunter squad out in the open towards a third objective.

The game didn't continue after turn five so I had my first win with my army. I explained to my opponent that, in hindsight, in a multiple objective game, he propably should have combat squaded his tacticals for as soon as I had destroyed those two units, the game was essentialy over.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten