donderdag 22 maart 2012

Tournament test battle vs Grey Knights

Yesterday I played another 1750 battle with the special missions for a tournament I will be attending next month, this time against a Grey Knights army. In this mission each player begins with a flag marker and a 3”-diameter station marker. The station marker is placed 6” from the middle point of the long table side on which your army will deploy. The flag marker is placed on top of it. Each player must try to place his flag on his opponents station and capture his opponent's flag. In addition you can also score battlepoints with kill points as a secondary mission objective and victory points as a third mission objective. Deployment was dawn of war but we lost sight of this and actually deployed pitched battle.

My opponent's army consisted of Draigo, two 5-men units of wound allocated paladins, a landraider, a stormraven and two dreadknights. My opponent won the roll to go first but let me choose side and start the first turn. I deployed nothing. He deployed only his landraider with one unit of paladins next to it, touching his own flag. With Draigo's special rule, he gave the paladins the scouts USR. In his scout move, he embarked his paladins with the flag marker. He kept one of the dreadknights and the stormraven with Draigo and the second squad of paladins in reserve so they could walk on the board. The second dreadknight would deep strike in.

In my first turn I dropped down my large unit of terminators next to his landraider. Logan and the longfangs dropped on the other side of the landraider but scattered off a bit. For my third drop pod, I took a unit of grey hunters and put my runepriest in there. I dropped them in the middle of the table so the runepriest could block my opponent's psychic powers in a large area with his runic weapon. The two combi-meltas in the large terminator squad destroyed the landraider. Logan and the longfangs then shot at the paladins, killing one or two with all the S8 shots.
In my opponent's first turn he moved his paladins towards Logan and the long fangs, shot them up but I only took an unlucky wound on Logan. He then assaulted them. I lost quite a few long fangs but I took him down to one paladin.

In my second turn a unit of grey hunters showed up as did one unit of scouts. I dropped the grey hunters next to the combat with Logan so they could claim my opponent's flag once the last paladin was defeated. Since my scouts had no real target, I let them come up from my board edge near my flag. My large unit of terminators moved up towards my opponent's board edge. With his single model on the table in combat, I had no shooting. In combat I defeated the last paladin and now only had Logan, the terminator with cyclone missile launcher and one multi-melta long fang left in that unit. They consolidated towards my opponent's table edge.
In my opponent second turn all his reserves arrived together. His one dreadknight moved up from his table edge near Logan and the remaining long fangs unit. His stormraved came on 6" from his table edge right in front of my large unit of terminators. Draigo and his boys got out of their ride. The second dreadknight arrived via deep strike between my scouts and my grey hunters. Both dreadknights threw their template, one on Logan and the long fangs and one on the scouts. Since it's AP4, I took a gamble and took a wound on my powerfist wolfguard in the scout squad but he failed his armour save and only the wolf scout with the meltagun survived the shooting attack. Both Draigo and the paladins as the stormraven shot at my large unit of terminators, killing one. He then assaulted Logan and the long fangs with the dreadknight and my large unit of terminators with Draigo and the paladins. Logan used his special ability to give all units within 18" +1 attack. The dreadknight focused his attacks on Logan and with both rerolls to hit and to wound, did enough wounds that I failed my invulnerable saves, losing Logan. I might have done a wound on the dreadknight but it was a lost battle now for sure. Draigo and the paladins made short work off my terminators. Even with several stormshields, they eventually fell one by one. He consolidated back into base contact with the stormraven.

In my next turn my small unit of terminators arrived. I dropped them just in front of Draigo and the paladins. My grey hunters that landed in the middle of the board moved a bit through terrain and took a few pot shots at the dreadknight, as did the lone scout with the meltagun, taking a few wounds off the monstrous creature. Unfortunately, I forgot to let the runepriest use his psychic powers the whole battle as I was focusing on keeping him in the centre of the board to block psychic powers. My other grey hunters moved into contact with my opponent's flag and tried to run into terrain but only got 1". My small unit of terminators unloaded their combi-melta's at the stormraven, blowing it up. The lone scout charged the dreadknight but was destroyed. This was propably a tactical mistake. I should not have given him the kill point or at least made him give up his turn to do so. He consolidated towards my grey hunters in cover. The other dreadknight killed the last of the long fang squad and then consolidated to within 1" of my unit of grey hunters with his flag.
In my opponent's third turn he moved Draigo and his paladins next to my terminators. Both dreadknights shot up their target units with their template weapon and then assaulted. I got to strike first with my grey hunters and the rune priest as he was charging into terrain but he made all of his saves. Toughness 6 was hard to deal with. Luckily I rolled well on my mark of the wulfen number of attacks and got in a rending here and there. He focused all his attacks on the rune priest and killed him. A 5+ invulnerable save is nice to have but if you get 4 power weapon attacks, you're not going to make it. The other dreadknight also slaughtered grey hunters but he was taking some wounds in return. Draigo and the paladins slaughtered the terminators and consolidated towards two nearby drop pods.

My remaining scouts didn't came on this turn. My drop pods oppened fire on Draigo and the paladins. All the rest of my units were locked in combat. The dreadknight near his table edge destroyed the grey hunters and consolidated towards the nearby drop pods. My other grey hunters also got slaughtered and it didn't help that my wolf guard with powerfist rolled all ones on his to wound rolls.
In my opponent's fourth turn, Draigo and the paladins shot at the drop pods and multi-assaulted them. They both blew up and although I got 12 hits on his unit, he saved all of them. The dreadknight near his table edge also destroyed another drop pod.

In my fifth turn, my scouts came on from his table edge, shot and assaulted the dreadknight and killed it. They consolidated towards away from his table edge, trying to get some cover from his paladins thanks behind a drop pod and a nearby building. His other dreadknight killed off the remaining mark of the wulfen in the other grey hunter squad and consolidated towards my scouts.
In his fifth turn he moved his paladins and the dreadknight closer and shot up my scouts, killing all of them. At the end of his round, I only had one drop pod left. We rolled to see if the game continued and it did not. We calculated battle points and it turned out he had 12 vs 3 for me. If he had been able to kill the last drop pod (almost certainly if the game had continued), he would have gotten the full 25 points for a wipe-out.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten