zondag 25 maart 2012

Tournament test battle vs Grey Knights

Last friday I played another 1750 battle with the special missions for a tournament I will be attending next month. I once again played against the same Grey Knights army consisting of Draigo, two 5-men units of wound allocated paladins, a landraider, a stormraven and two dreadknights. In this mission each player needs to try to kill his opponents most valuable HQ while trying to have his own most valuable HQ in his opponents deployment zone. Deployment is pitched battle. In addition each game round we each had to roll on a table for a benefit our most valuable HQ would get for that game round (1: +1S, 2: +1BS, 3: +1WS and +1I, 4: +1T, 5: +1A, 6: 3+ invulnerable save).

I won the roll to go first and let my opponent choose sides and take first turn. He deployed nothing. With Draigo's special rule, he gave the stormraven the scouts USR so it could outflank. His landraider with one unit of paladins would come on from his board edge when it arrived from reserves. Both the dreadknights would deep strike in. I actually took the chance and deployed some of my units. I deployed the long fangs on my side of the board on a hill with line of sight to almost anything on the board. I also infiltrated both wolf scouts units into terrain on both sides of my opponent's deployment zone. I had to change up my wolf guard units a bit to do this. I put the power weapon and combi-melta terminator from my large squad of terminators with the longfangs. This gave me room to put Logan with that unit in their drop pod. I kept the terminator with cyclone missile launcher in the other squad and added the rune priest to that squad, giving me another full drop pod.

In my opponent's first turn nothing happened as he had nothing on the board.
In my turn I dropped down my large unit of terminators with Logan just outside of his deployment zone but they scattered into it. The other terminators with the rune priest als came down near his deployment zone. For my third drop pod, I dropped the empty long fangs drop pod near the middle of the board in the open, adding another deep strike mishap chance. Since I had nothing to shoot at, this turn went fast as well. In hindsight I should have dropped the long fangs near the middle of the board and have them run into terrain. They would have had a better range from there.

In my opponent's second turn his landraider with the paladins came on and one of the dreadknights arrived just behind Logan's terminators. The landraider moved up 12" diagonally, the paladins came out and shot at my terminators with the rune priest, killing one terminator. The dreadknight threw his flame template on Logan and his terminators and I lost another terminator. The paladins then assaulted my terminators with the runepriest, killing all terminators except for the runepriest. He failed his leadership test and ran away. He consolidated back towards his table edge.
In my second turn a unit of grey hunters arrived and I dropped them next to the dreadknight. The runepriest regrouped and joined Logan's unit who moved towards the paladins. My first unit of scouts tried to melta the landraider but I failed both penetration rolls. They later assaulted it but the fist couldn't hit it either. Logan and his unit shot at the paladins and then assaulted them, leaving one paladin alive. The other unit of scouts and the grey hunters shot at the dreadknight but did nothing to it as he made all of his saves. My long fangs took some shot at his dreadknight but failed to hurt it.

In my opponent's third turn both his remaining reserved units came on. Draigo and the paladins came on the board in their outflanking stormraven. They got out and were just in charge range to come to the aid of their lone remaining paladin brother. The stormraven unleashed it's assault cannon at the nearby scouts, decimating the squad. The first dreadknight assaulted the grey hunters. The second dreadknight threw his template weapon at the long fangs but I made most of my saves. In the combat with the paladins, I lost Logan (before he could strike) and several of the wolf guard but the runepriest survived. He tank shocked my scouts with his landraider who ran way and then shot at a drop pod and took a weapon off.
In my turn the last drop pod didn't arrive. The long fangs took some shots at the stormraven but failed to hurt it. I could have targeted the nearby dreadknight with the multi-meltas but forgot it was there. The scouts regrouped and destroyed the landraider with a meltashot. The dreadknight destroyed the last of the grey hunters but was killed simultaneously and the paladins destroyed the rune priest en what was left of the wolf guard terminators. Draigo and the paladins consolidated back towards the stormraven but not close enough to be in base to base.

In my opponent's fourth turn he moved the remaining dreadknight towards my long fangs and shot at them once more but was out of charge range. Draigo and a lone remaining member from the 1st paladin squad embarked on the stormraven. The other paladins went for my remaining scouts and shot them down.
In my fourth turn my last unit of grey hunters arrived next to his stormraven and blew it up. The long fangs shot at the dreadknight and took some wounds off. I shot some drop pod stormbolters at his paladins and at Draigo but failed to hurt them.

In my opponent's fifth turn he assaulted my grey hunters with his paladins and Draigo and wiped them. The dreadknight shot and assaulted my long fangs and killed them.
Once more I had only some drop pods left on the table who took some shots at Draigo and the paladins but without any success. We rolled to see if the game continued and it did but we didn't play it out as I wouldn't have been able to kill any of his units with the stormbolters and he was too far out to have a chance of destroying all my drop pods for the whipeout. We didn't calculate the result but we expected it be about the same as last time. He did get half of the main objective, killing my HQ but me taking out the stormraved prevented him from taking the second part of the main objective.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten